FOOD and HYGIENE MICROBIOLOGY
(1) What are three ways a processor can minimise growth of unwanted organisms in food fermentation?
(2) (a) Why does aeration and mixing cause a difference in the rate of growth yeast during a fermentation process?
(b) Identify three other food fermentations
(II) Why is this antibiotic allowed and not the others
(5) Sodium nitrate is not toxic to bacteria and yet it is added as a preservative in meats products like sausages and bacon.
a) What type of radiation is used for food preservation because of its good penetration ability
b) why has radiation not been used much in the food industry even though it is approved as safe by various FDA in the USA
(6) Why do we look for E.coli in food when assaying faecal pollution when it only make up less than 10% of organisms in faeces?
(7) How can we identify particular strains of E. coli?
(9) Name one advantage of
(11) Compare the use of an ElIZA methods to that of a culture method for identifying unknown bacteria form food.